- We strive to provide complete care for our patients. Learn more about all the services we provide.
Posted on 10-02-2016
Sports injuries are injuries caused from playing sports or exercising. They are often caused by improper gear, improper stretching, or when someone is not conditioned enough for the activity.
The most common sports injuries are:
- Sprains and strains
- Injuries to the knee
- Shin splints
- Tennis elbow
Everyone who plays sports will inevitably suffer from a sports related injury, but there are many ways to help prevent them.
- Before you start your workout, make sure to do warmup exercises to get blood flowing through the muscles you'll be using.
- Make sure you also cool down after a hard workout or training session.
- Always use proper form.
- Never have your knees beyond your toes when performing squats or deadlifts.
- When jumping, land with your knees bent, not straight.
- Try and use the softest surface you can for working out. Don't run on asphalt when you can run on grass.
- Run on flat surfaces instead of unstable ones.
- Always wear the correct gear for the activity. Wear running shoes when running, wear cleats while playing soccer, wear football pads and helmet while playing football.
- Find shoes that fit properly. They should have a stable sole, absorb shock, and fit snug around your foot.
If you do happen to get injured, the worst thing you can do is work past the pain. Stop exercising immediately and apply ice. Try to stay off the injured area as much as possible. If you start to feel intense pain in the injured area, it swells, or if a joint feels unstable, it's time to visit your doctor.
Contact us today to learn more about preventing and treating sports injuries.
There are no comments for this post. Please use the form below to post a comment.